Finding the right VPN for sports betting can be challenging. Some won’t let you access your favorite websites, while others will slow you down so much that you miss a winning bet. To save you time and money, I shortlisted the best VPNs for sports betting that provide you with a great experience.
My team and I tested 60+ VPNs and chose the best ones for this purpose. They give you speeds that ensure your bets don’t time out, plus robust security that keeps your betting private. You’ll also get easy access to sports betting platforms from anywhere, even when you’re traveling.
Of all the VPNs I tested, ExpressVPN is my top choice. It offers access to all major sports betting platforms, has an extensive server network, and packs military-grade protection. You can try ExpressVPN out risk-free as it comes with a 30-day money guarantee. If you’re not completely satisfied, you can easily get a full refund.
Try ExpressVPN for Sports Betting >>
Important! Sports betting sites are blocked in some parts of the world. Their availability differs depending on the rules and regulations of a specific country. To stay on the safe side, make sure to check those rules where you are. The vpnMentor team and I don’t condone illegal sports betting or the use of VPNs to bypass these restrictions.
Best VPNs for Sports Betting — Full Analysis (Updated 2023)
1. ExpressVPN — The Fastest VPN I Tested for Placing Sports Bets Instantly
ExpressVPN is the fastest VPN I tested for sports gambling. It’s frustrating for any gambler when you miss out on a win because of a change in gameplay, and your connection wasn’t fast enough. ExpressVPN dropped my speeds by just 4% on local UK servers. I was able to place bets on Tipico with no slowdowns while I was on vacation in France. Plus, I was particularly impressed that the faraway New Jersey server only slowed me down by 10%.
This is thanks to its fast Lightway protocol — I was able to place bets safely, privately, and with plenty of time to spare. This protocol uses less battery and is open-source, so anyone can check its code. It was also audited for security 2 times by Cure53 and passed with flying colors.
And, unlike other speed-optimized protocols, Lightway was built to support obfuscation on each of ExpressVPN’s 3,000 servers. When it detects network blocks or detection tools, it automatically disguises your data as regular internet traffic, helping you beat the toughest of VPN blocks. This means that you can place sports bets even if you’re connected to restrictive networks, like those in schools and workspaces.
It took just 1 second to establish a connection with the best state for betting in the US
Sure, it’s not the cheapest on my list. But you can’t lose since ExpressVPN has a 30-day money-back guarantee. So you can test all of its features risk-free and claim a refund if you’re not happy. I tested this out via 24/7 live chat. The agent replied immediately and approved my request without question. I had my money back 4 days later.
- 1-click connections. ExpressVPN has a Smart Location feature that recommends the fastest server near you. There’s also a Recent Location feature that saves your last-used server. These allow you to quickly connect so that you don’t lose any time when you want to place bets.
- Bitcoin payments. If you want to leave no trace of your subscription to ExpressVPN, you can pay via BTC and sign up with a disposable email address. So, if you prefer to gamble in crypto to hide your sports bets from your bank, you can easily use your winnings to pay for the VPN.
- Shortcuts. Configure shortcuts to your favorite sports betting platforms to give you one-click access as soon as you connect to a server. This is super helpful when there’s a high-stakes game, and you need to place a bet while the odds are in your favor.
- Up to 8 device connections. Sure, it’s not unlimited, but you’ll get enough devices to watch the game on one device, place bets on another, and access your bank account securely on a third one.
Try ExpressVPN for Sports Betting >>
2. CyberGhost — Easy Access to Sports Betting Platforms Even for VPN Newcomers
CyberGhost is a great beginner-friendly VPN for betting — I set it up on my MacBook Pro and smartphone in under a minute and got easy access to 888Sport. The app works the same no matter which device you install it on, so it’s easy to learn. Plus, for local sports betting, you don’t even have to select a server. The app defaults to the best available location, so you can connect with one click.
I recommend the WireGuard protocol for mobile and desktop betting because IKEv2 is easier to detect and block
It’s a fast VPN, too. With a drop of just 5% on nearby servers, I could easily place pre-kickoff soccer accas. I tested CyberGhost’s servers in Italy, Turkey, Monaco, and Poland and was easily able to access sports betting platforms with minimal lag, despite how far away these countries are from me.
There are servers in 100 countries, slightly fewer than ExpressVPN, but you’ll still easily find a server close to home to access your betting accounts while you’re abroad. That said, I wasn’t a fan that I couldn’t pick a specific US state to connect to, given that gambling laws vary per state. Gambling laws are national in most other countries, though, so it’s great for placing sports bets elsewhere.
You can test CyberGhost for free with a generous 45-day money-back guarantee. I checked this claim by contacting customer support via the website. The agent asked why I was canceling but didn’t pressure me to stay. I had my money back after 5 days.
- Dedicated IPs. At a small extra cost, you can get your own private IP address that no one else can use, so it’s highly unlikely to be banned by betting sites. With a link just under the main server list, it’s as easy to use as everything else is with CyberGhost.
- Block Content. Sports betting platforms use tracking cookies to keep track of what bets you’re placing and, in some cases, recommend the other games you should bet on. CyberGhost blocks these (along with ads and malicious domains) to help you avoid these platforms’ tactics to keep you betting for longer.
- Optimized streaming servers. You’ll also get servers optimized for many popular sports platforms, including DAZN, Sky Sports (Go), Fox Sports, ESPN+, NBC, and NFL+. So, no matter where you are in the world, you’ll be able to watch the big game while you keep track of the latest odds.
- Smart rules. CyberGhost’s automation feature lets you define rules for when and where your VPN should connect. When I last went on vacation, I told the VPN to connect to a UK server whenever it detected me using a public WiFi hotspot. This let me unblock my home betting accounts and protect my sensitive data on unsecured networks.
Try CyberGhost for Sports Betting >>
3. Private Internet Access (PIA) — A Great Choice for Sports Gambling in the USA With Servers in Every State
If you live in the US and enjoy sports betting, PIA is a great option. It’s the only VPN on my list with locations in every state. It was cool to check out different odds for the same events in other regions. During my tests, I had no problems getting on Bovada, 1xBet, Caesars Sportsbook, and more. All the servers connected immediately, and I had no connection issues.
PIA is also the best choice if you want to customize your VPN connection for betting since it offers tons of settings. You can lower your encryption levels for faster speeds if your betting apps are sluggish (although it’s slightly less secure). Or, you can opt for WireGuard, which is designed to offer a great balance between speed and security.
I particularly like the setting to automatically try other settings, as this saved me setup time
You can also get a dedicated IP. You just have to dig into PIA’s impressive Settings menu. That’s really my only issue with PIA — if you’re brand new to VPNs, you might find its vast array of features a little overwhelming. But if you’re a techie like me, you’ll get on just fine.
The long-term plan is the cheapest deal on my list, and you can try PIA with your sports betting apps for free using its 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Unlimited device connections. PIA is a winner if you’re traveling with a group of betting fans. Unlimited simultaneous connections let you bet securely and privately on as many devices as you like.
- Split tunneling. Get more bandwidth for your betting apps by allowing other apps and browsers to bypass the VPN. This meant I could place bets on Caesar’s Sportbook through the VPN while I watched my local team play on BBC iPlayer through my regular connection.
- Automation. Set rules for different data sources to keep your betting safe and private. You don’t get as many options as with CyberGhost’s Smart rules, but you’ll still be able to set it to automatically connect on unsecure public WiFi networks.
- Multi-Hop. This routes your connection through an additional proxy server, which effectively doubles your protection. So, it’s great for extra reassurance that your payment info is safe. It does slow your connection, though.
Try PIA for Sports Betting >>
4. NordVPN — Threat Protection Feature for Smooth and Secure Sports Betting
NordVPN offers a highly customizable Threat Protection feature that’s a lifeline in the online betting world. If you’re like me, you’ll get stacks of phishing scam emails purporting to be from betting sites. They can often look deceptively authentic, but Threat Protection has you covered — even if you click the wrong link. It blocks your access right away to ensure you don’t get scammed or infect your device.
In addition to this, I recommend using NordVPN’s proprietary NordLynx, as I did during testing. Similar to ExpressVPN’s Lightway protocol, NordLynx is a significant advancement in secure sports betting. Its double NAT technology gives you a unique IP address, so you’re not sharing one with everyone on the same server. This takes away an easy VPN detection method that betting sites use.
Make sure to turn Threat Protection on to protect you from trackers, ads, and malicious domains
Threat Protection does sometimes struggle with antivirus programs, though. Sometimes, I’d visit a website, only for my browser to say I was offline. But, if I turned off my third-party antivirus, it worked fine.
NordVPN offers various plans, all with a 30-day money-back guarantee, so you can test it with your betting sites for free.
- Convenient connection options. With NordVPN, you have different ways of connecting, all of which are super intuitive, even for beginners. You get a map with all of the server locations available — just click on the country you want to place bets in. If you don’t like maps, you can just use the search bar in the server list or connect to one of your last 5 used servers displayed above the list.
- Meshnet. Remotely access your devices from anywhere. So, if you’re on vacation, you can use your mobile device to connect to your desktop PC and place bets in your home country.
- Refer a friend. For a dead-cert, no-risk win, you can use a unique referral link to invite a friend to use NordVPN. You both get 3 months of free service if they sign up.
Try NordVPN for Sports Betting >>
5. Surfshark — Unlimited Simultaneous Connections to Place Sports Bets on All Your Devices
Surfshark allows you to bet on unlimited devices at once, which is ideal for betting securely with your friends during big matches. I tested it on my laptop, smartphone, and tablet, and asked my roommate to stream on all 5 of their devices. Despite the load, I placed bets across multiple sites while also livestreaming multiple games with no slowdowns.
You can cover a whole household of betting devices on a single account with Surfshark
MultiHop enhances your security and privacy for sports betting. It channels your traffic via two distinct servers and also provides the option to design your own combinations from its comprehensive server list. This two-tier encryption guarantees the privacy of your personal information and betting history.
I was initially concerned that Surfshark is based in the Netherlands, which is part of the 9 Eyes Alliance. That said, it has an audited no-logs policy, so I was confident that even if someone requested my data, Surfshark wouldn’t have anything to hand over.
Surfshark has a money-back guarantee, ensuring you can try its services for free. If you’re not happy, you’ve got 30 days to claim a full refund, so it’s no gamble.
- CleanWeb ad blocker. You get a one-click ad blocker to prevent annoying betting and casino ads. In my tests, it only blocked 54% of ads compared to PIA MACE’s 67%. But, it’s still a great tool to have.
- Camouflage mode. This obfuscates your traffic, so it’s harder for sports betting websites to discover that you’re using a VPN — and for them to block or ban you as a result.
Try Surfshark for Sports Betting >>
Quick Comparison Table: Sports Betting VPN Features
When it comes to sports betting, the ideal VPN should offer servers in many countries, fast speeds, and low ping. It’s essential to guard against your account being flagged or suspended by your betting platform due to numerous logins from various IP addresses. Therefore, obfuscation is also an advantage.
Try ExpressVPN for Sports Betting >>
Tips on Choosing the Best VPN for Sports Betting
You’ll need a variety of features for a VPN to work smoothly with sports gambling. I carried out rigorous tests to make sure my list was accurate. During my tests, I used the following factors to rank the above VPNs:
- Robust security and privacy. I’ve only listed VPNs that offer military-grade encryption with advanced security features such as a kill switch, no-logs policy, and IP/DNS leak protection. This way, your funds, betting history, and sensitive payment information are secure.
- Fast speed. To place bets on time, you need a VPN with fast speeds and a responsive ping to prevent slowdowns. The ones on this list offer reliable speeds, even on long-distance servers.
- Reliable unblocking capabilities. Many countries continue to limit access to sports betting websites, so your VPN should be able to let you place bets even when you travel. I’ve made sure each VPN works with a variety of betting platforms.
- Diverse device compatibility. If you want to bet on the go, your VPN must be compatible with all major OSs. All the services I shortlisted work on Android and iOS, so you can bet even when you’re away from your computer.
- Intuitive apps. Whether you want a simple plug-and-play solution or an array of adjustable settings to tailor your connections, I made sure each VPN has a user-friendly app. That lets you enjoy betting without stressing about the tech.
- Value for money. Every VPN on this list offers affordable plans with reliable money-back guarantees. So, you can try every feature and easily get your money back if you’re not completely satisfied.
Try ExpressVPN for Sports Betting >>
Resources and Advice for Responsible Sports Betting
All the information in this article is intended to help you place sports bets responsibly. Evaluating how to bet safely online goes beyond simply protecting your sensitive personal information. If you bet online regularly, then I recommend you use the following resources and familiarize yourself with the signs of gambling addiction.
- The National Problem Gambling Helpline. This US-based helpline is completely confidential and available 24/7 via phone, text, or chat in all states.
- Gamblers Anonymous. This US-based organization runs hotlines across all 50 states and meetings in the US, UK, Australia, Canada, and more.
- Gambling Therapy. This free online therapy organization provides text-based support groups for gambling addictions worldwide. You can also get 1:1 support via email.
- The National Gambling Support Network. This is a collection of UK-based national and regional hotlines, meetings, and therapy organizations for people with gambling addictions.
- GamCare. This UK-based charity runs a hotline, live chat, chatrooms, and forums, all of which are available for free 24/7. It also offers tons of free resources in a recovery toolkit and a smartphone app to keep you on track.
FAQs on VPNs for Sports Betting
Can DraftKings and BetMGM detect my VPN?
Is it legal to use a VPN for sports betting?
Using a VPN for sports betting is a legal gray area. Online betting is illegal in the UAE, Qatar, and a handful of other countries and states. So using a VPN to circumvent geo-restrictions can result in account closure and loss of winnings. However, the legality of using a VPN for sports gambling can also vary by country and region, so it’s important to check local laws and the terms of service of your betting platform.
Which sports gambling and casino sites can I access from the US?
You can access various sports gambling and casino sites from the US, but availability varies by state. Some popular platforms operating legally in certain states include BetMGM, DraftKings, and FanDuel, among others. Always verify the legitimacy and licensing of any platform in your specific state before you engage in sports gambling with a VPN.
Which US states ban online betting?
Betting laws vary from state to state. The only states with an outright betting ban are Hawaii and Utah. The best state for online sports betting is New Jersey, as it’s the only state that allows access to Betfair and one of 5 states that permits Bet365. The following states ban online betting altogether, but even here, you can access your account with a VPN, provided you don’t place any bets.
Can I use a free VPN for sports betting?
You can, but I don’t recommend it. Free VPNs are often unsafe — the services don’t charge, so they’ve got nothing to invest in encryption, advanced security features, and fast speeds. Plus, many of them record and sell your data to third parties, which can compromise your online security. I recommend using a low-cost premium VPN provider to keep your betting data safe.
Worse still, some “free VPNs” are just poorly disguised malware or scams. Even seemingly legitimate free VPNs can contain hidden malware, spyware, or other cyber threats.
Get the Best VPN for Sports Betting
The best sports betting VPNs ensure you have full access to your favorite platforms from anywhere. They also add layers of protection so you can bet safely and reliably. This way, no third parties can access your personal data or see your betting accounts.
My top recommendation for sports betting is ExpressVPN. It keeps your data safe while ensuring you never miss placing a bet on time. You can try it risk-free today, and if you’re not 100% satisfied, it’s easy to claim a refund.